Date

I spent Easter in Milan, attending the second official GStreamer hackfest. It has been a productive event and, as always, a pleasure to hang out with some members of the GStreamer core dev team fame :)

I focused on a few GStreamer bugs that were blocking some other WebKit bugs related to the media player and the WebAudio backend. I also had in mind to port the osxaudio sink to 1.0, a task started one week before the hackfest, but didn’t have time to come back to it.

The first task I worked on was about cleaning up some code in uridecodebin related to URI protocols and on-disk buffering. In WebKit we use a custom HTTP(S) source element used by playbin when loading remote media files. The issue is that that element is also exposed to applications using WebKit itself so we made it handle a custom protocol, webkit+http://. But that exposed a bug in urideocdebin where some protocols, including http, are hardcoded in a white list used to enable on-disk buffering. Unfortunately the aforementioned bug is not solved yet even though some good progress was made!

The second task I worked on was first reported by Wim, the WebKit media player wasn’t pausing when receiving buffering messages. The fix was quite simple. After that I finally added some basic codec installer support in WebKit. The GStreamer codec installer API is quite simple :)

Lastly I started working again on the WebAudio createMediaSourceElement support for the GStreamer/WebKit backend. The patch has been sleeping in Bugzilla since last Christmas. That feature is interesting for WebAudio applications that need to use audio data coming from media elements to eg, do stuff like equalizers. The current patch in bugzilla gathers the audio buffers in lists and copy them to the AudioBus when needed. Those memcpys could probably be avoided by pre-allocating the memory for the AudioBus and telling GStreamer to write directly there. So, with the help of my friend Alessandro Decina (who was doing some similar stuff on his Firefox branch) I started working on a simple GstAllocator that would be configured in the pipeline by intercepting allocation queries toward the appsinks used to gather the audio buffers. Well, this exposed some bugs on the GStreamer side! The deinterleave element always uses the default allocator when pushing data to its source pads. So I started a patch that performs allocation queries downstream and use the allocator returned, if any. Unfortunately my custom allocator doesn’t work yet but I’ll cary on work on this, the GstAllocator API is quite an interesting thing to play with :)

All in all it was a great and productive event. Christian wrote a nice report about the hackfest too. I also wanted to thank Collabora and Fluendo for sponsoring dinners. A special thank you as well for Igalia which covered my travel expenses and attendance to the hackfest.


Comments

comments powered by Disqus