Date Tags WebKit

Last week I attended the Web Engines Hackfest. The event was sponsored by Igalia (also hosting the event), Adobe and Collabora.

As usual I spent most of the time working on the WebKitGTK+ GStreamer backend and Sebastian Dröge kindly joined and helped out quite a bit, make sure to read his post about the event!

We first worked on the WebAudio GStreamer backend, Sebastian cleaned up various parts of the code, including the playback pipeline and the source element we use to bridge the WebCore AudioBus with the playback pipeline. On my side I finished the AudioSourceProvider patch that was abandoned for a few months (years) in Bugzilla. It’s an interesting feature to have so that web apps can use the WebAudio API with raw audio coming from Media elements.

I also hacked on GstGL support for video rendering. It’s quite interesting to be able to share the GL context of WebKit with GStreamer! The patch is not ready yet for landing but thanks to the reviews from Sebastian, Mathew Waters and Julien Isorce I’ll improve it and hopefully commit it soon in WebKit ToT.

Sebastian also worked on Media Source Extensions support. We had a very basic, non-working, backend that required… a rewrite, basically :) I hope we will have this reworked backend soon in trunk. Sebastian already has it working on Youtube!

The event was interesting in general, with discussions about rendering engines, rendering and JavaScript.


Comments

comments powered by Disqus